When lights were originally established at the mouth of the Portage
River in 1868, they took the form of a pair of range lights. The front
range light being a 19 foot wooden tower, and the rear light a lantern
25 feet above a wooden frame dwelling with a front porch.
Replaced by the existing octagonal steel tower in 1920, the light was
designed to be automated from its inception, and remains today in its'
Keepers of this
Seeing this Light
to see a complete listing of all Keweenaw Waterway Light keepers
compiled by Phyllis L. Tag of Great Lakes Lighthouse Research.
It was overcast and drizzling when we arrived at the Keweenaw Waterway
pier, and bundled up for the walk along the pier.
As is so frequently the case, the pier serves as a roosting area for
gulls, and thus the walk to the end of the pier if a somewhat messy
We hoped to get up onto the base of the tower, however the steel stairs
have been removed, making it impossible to climb the wet concrete.
From the end of the pier, we could just make-out the lantern room of the
Portage Lighthouse peering through the trees about a mile to the north,
and this slight view gave us a good idea as to the direction we needed
head in order to get to our next target.
Finding this Light
Take M26 to Lake Linden. Turn East on Jacobsville Rd. Follow Jacobsville
Rd. until it becomes Bootjack Rd. Follow Bootjack Rd. to Torch Lake
until the road splits in a "Y." Take Dreamland Rd, which is
the left leg of the "Y." Continue on Dreamland approximately
tem miles to a "T" intersection. Turn right at the
"T" intersection onto a gravel road. Follow this gravel road
until it ends in a park at the pier. There are plenty of parking places
throughout the park. It is a short walk to the lakeshore, and the pier.
Inventory of Historic Light Stations, National Parks Service,
Michigan Lighthouses, Penrose, 1992
Personal visit to Keweenaw Waterway on
Photographs from author's personal
Keeper listings for this light appear courtesy of Great
Lakes Lighthouse Research